Hello SUMMER! Are you feeling the heat yet? To be honest, I feel summer came on super quick! But I’m not complaining, Summer is my favorite season, with Autumn being a very close second.
This is the time of year we start to look for refreshing, cooling foods… fresh salads, fruit, produce and yes, even cool desserts like sorbet, ice beverages and .. yes you guessed it, POPSICLES.
I have many memories as a kid rushing into the house and bringing out popsicles for my friends to sit in the shade and cool off. Unfortunately many mainstream popsicles in stores are not ideal when it comes to their ingredients. In my early days as a Mom, I use to buy my own juice to freeze in popsicle molds for my kids. This was a step in the right direction with no artificial sweeteners, additives or colors.
Afterwards, I took it a step further, and rather just use the extracted juice from fruit, which can be high in fructose (aka sugar) and missing valuable nutrients like fiber, I decided to use the whole fruit! My first choice is berries as they are low in sugar and offer so many great benefits!
Benefits of Berries
- Packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids
- May help improve blood sugar and insulin response.
- Provide many vitamins and minerals like C, K, and manganese.
- High in fiber.
All the deliciousness and fun without the processed sugar or colorings. A great healthy treat on a hot summer day!
- 2 cups Frozen Blackberries
- 1/3 cup Water warm
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender until mixed well and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a popsicle mold and transfer to the freezer.
- Freeze popsicles for four to six hours, or until fully frozen. Enjoy.
- Leftovers – Keep frozen popsicles in an airtight container for up to one month.
- More Flavor – Add vanilla and or blend mint into the mixture.
- More Sweetness – Add 1-3 tbsp of Maple Syrup or Honey
Nourish & Live A Vital Life
Is it time to reclaim your health? Book your first session with me! Let’s work together to naturally support your health with a functional-health approach utilizing holistic nutrition and healthy lifestyle habits.