There is a strong emotional attachment to macaroni and cheese. Cheese and pasta… it’s no wonder people of all ages gravitate to this decadent delight.. simple and our taste buds love it. And it’s so easy to make with Kraft Dinner a staple in many kitchen cupboards.
I too grew up with Kraft Dinner. Mom loved that I loved it, and it was easy to make and inexpensive. Like mother like daughter, so when my kids were little, I didn’t hesitate to go the simple route and dish out this pleasing meal.
Of course, our Macaroni and Cheese is a little different now. This whole-food, dairy-free version is AMAZING.
Andrea reported back saying “This cheese sauce is so good I cut my tongue licking the blades of my blender.”
Jamie said; “This is one of my favourite recipe so far! My boyfriend couldn’t believe there wasn’t any cheese in it. ”
Enjoy this recipe and hopefully, it brings back those incredible memories of just eating a good old fashion bowl of Mac’n & Cheese.
|Passive Time||1 Hour|
- 4 cups Butternut Squash (peeled seeded and sliced into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion diced
- 2 Garlic (clove whole)
- 2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Almonds
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 cup Cashews
- 2 tbsps Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsps Sea Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 4 cups Gluten Free Macaroni uncooked
- Preheat oven to 420ºF (216ºC).
- Place butternut squash, sweet onion and garlic cloves in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, season with a bit of sea salt and pepper and mix well. Transfer onto a large foil-lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Now let's make the "breadcrumbs". In a food processor, combine the almonds, garlic powder and onion powder. Pulse until almonds are coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- In a blender, add cashews, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and water. Blend until a creamy consistency form. Now add in the roasted butternut squash and onion mix and blend until smooth.
- Reduce oven to 350ºF (177ºC).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook brown rice macaroni as per the directions on the package. When finished cooking, strain and run under cold water immediately to prevent from overcooking.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked macaroni and "cheese" sauce. Toss until well coated then transfer into a casserole dish. Top with almond breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool for 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls. Devour.
- More Protein Add diced chicken.
- Make it Spicy Add some clean hot sauce, chili flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Extra Vegetables Add sautéed spinach and mushrooms.
- Appetizer Size Line a muffin tray with liners and fill each with a few spoonfuls of Mac n' 'Cheese' for a bite-sized snack.