It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! I don’t know about you, but I 100% believe in gingerbread during the holiday season. It is a timeless tradition during the holidays, whether you eat it or just use it for decoration. I am known for BOTH… bring on the Gingerbread house-making competition!
Gingerbread is typically flavored with ginger, cloves, nutmeg, or cinnamon and sweetened with honey, sugar, or molasses. So the question begs to be asked; can your gingerbread cookie be good for you?
Yes, Gingerbread can be Health Supporting!
Ginger, long known for its healing and medicinal properties, can treat nausea and stimulate digestion. It may also help lower blood sugars, improve heart disease risk factors, and help with osteoarthritis. If you need even more convincing to eat this seasonal cookie (I’m sure I’m twisting your rubber arm), molasses offers a source of iron, selenium, and copper contributing to your energy levels, bone health, and even thyroid health.
Enjoy this delish gingerbread cookie recipe…. in moderation of course. I would love to tell you that a cookie “a day keeps the doctor away”, but that phrase is still coined by the apple. Enjoy!
Chewie Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 1/2 tsps Baking Powder
- 2 tsps Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 tbsps Coconut Oil melted
- 1 Egg room temp
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Fancy Molasses
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (177ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon. Mix well using a fork to break up any clumps. Add in the coconut oil, egg, vanilla, molasses and maple syrup. Mix again.
- Roll the dough into even balls and place on the baking sheet. Gently flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Enjoy!
- Leftovers – Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to seven days. Freeze for up to six months.
- Serving Size – One serving is equal to one cookie.
- Coconut Flour – This recipe was developed and tested using Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flour. If using another type of coconut flour, note that the results may vary.
Looking for more healthy holiday treats, Recipes & support?
I’m here to support your health journey throughout the holiday season… without deprivation! Let’s keep you on track and keep you feeling your best this holiday season!
Healthy Holiday Recipe Book
only available in November & December
To help you stay balanced this holiday season, I have put together another holiday recipes collection this year. You are going to fall in love with these healthy, decadent, and amazingly delicious goodies.
- 100 beautifully presented recipes with photos
- Holiday Survival Check List
- Healthy, delicious & nutritious favorite holiday recipes that includes; 25 Holiday Breakfast Feasts, 25 Tasty Holiday Appetizers & Snacks, 25 Famous Meals & Side Dishes, 25 Decadent Holiday Dessert
The Holiday Survival Guide
only available in November & December
Does the stress of party planning, family gatherings and frantic gift shopping make you want to face plant in a bowl of mashed potatoes & not come out until New Year’s? We all know that the holidays can be taxing on our health. The endless parties and parade of tempting treats can leave us feeling tired, bloated, and ready to break out the elastic waistband… What if you had a simple plan to take away the worry? What if you could navigate the season & have healthy holidays without gaining weight, feeling sluggish, or totally stressing out?
Make It Happen With My FREE Healthy Holidays 101 Survival Guide
Health Is A Relationship Between You & Your Body. Eat Good, Feel Good, Look Good.
Is it time to reclaim your health? Book your first session with me! Let’s work together to naturally support your health with a functional-health approach utilizing holistic nutrition and healthy lifestyle habits.
Have Questions? Contact me to learn how I can help support your health and wellness goals. And then don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram & LinkedIn for more health tips, strategies & recipes.